Hi All-- Anna's sister, Olivia, here! I got an update from Anna to hear that she made it to Africa safe!! I wanted to share a little bit of her email with you!
"We made it to Bulawayo and holy crap it's been a journey!! I actually did really great on the flight, I watched a lot of movies, slept a lot. There was a map so we could check at all times where the plane was! We were greeted at the airport with two Young Life buses blowing vuvuzuella's and waving YL flags and they sang us this cool song. It was fun to meet some of the leaders and get to know them a little bit.
Right now we are with a white South African couple for the night and they are cooking us dinner. They are friends of Pierre who is our YL host for this trip.
The next two days we are going to be doing YL training and putting on club for two high schools in the area and at night we are going to be staying in the townships with the YL leaders. I am a bit nervous to say the least but I know God's got it and I'll be safe.
On Saturday we will be heading on a Safari and Vic Falls until Tuesday because all of the high school kids are still in school. We're taking it three days at a time and really trying to get all of the Young Life leaders and areas organized (scheduling as well as time means very little over here!)"
Prayer requests: Her time sleeping in the Townships, being homesick, her stomach feeling upset, their time with the Young Life leaders
Thank you guys so much!!
Saturday, July 24, 2010
The Newelly Wed's is s blog I love! and Amanada did a post a few days ago as a four part series naming 25 things she loved and when she was all done she would have a list of 100! My friends Ellen and Audrey did this during the school year and encouraged me to do the same, so I decided to finally do one! These are in NO particular order what so ever.
1. God's love and grace
2. YL properties like Washington Family Ranch and Malibu, and the amazing friendships that are made there and the crazy work God does in kids life there
3. Watching F.R.I.E.N.D.S, especially in my bed
5. Keeping up with the Kardashians, and all those E! and Bravo Shows
6. Shoes. TOMS, Nike's, cutie little sandals, I love them all.
7.Babies anywhere from infants to like three years old
9. Harry Potter
12.Fashion, Vogue, September Issue, New York
13. Coke in a bottle
14. Photo shoots
15. Puppies or just dogs in general
17. Hanging out with my sister
18. Pacific City, OR
22. Going on vacation
23.Duck football games
24. Evening time in the summer when its that perfect temperature
Tuesday, July 20, 2010
My sister and I were inspire by all these great flea market and goodwill finds that we stumble upon on many of your blogs and we decided to venture out one day and see what kinds of treasures we could find! I was totally shocked and the things I got because I never have much luck at goodwill. My Dad actually got me that map, but it's from goodwill none the less!
Question for any of my followers/readers. I have never flown internationally before and flying isn't my most favorite thing in the world (ok lets be honest I hate it). Do you have any suggestions for things such as : good books to read on the airplane, good tips for traveling internationally, things you were glad you packed, or any advice in general to me before I leave for Africa?
I hope to hear from lots of you , I could really use the advice!
Saturday, July 17, 2010
Katy Weaver is a budding photographer that I have gone to school with since elementary school! She takes spectacular photos and I was fortunate enough to be asked to shoot with her. Last tuesday with the help of stylist and practically my other sister Maggie (who will one day be a big big deal, you'll see) we shot a photo shoot with all whites and creams. We had a blast and came up with some great stuff! Check out Katy Weaver here and check back for my picture of our shoot!
Friday, July 16, 2010
1. A very nostalgic place that reminds me of being a kid is Hands down Pacific City. We go every year with our family friends and random times in between. It was one of the only family traditions that we had and I just have some really sweet memories with my sister and I there.
2. If someone really wants to show me how much they love me it took me so long to think of what this would be... but I think it would be listening to me, taking an interest in my passions in life because I have a few and I am crazy passionate about them.OH and they would watch Kardashian's with me with no judgement.
3. Lately I've been wondering a lot about how God feels about how our world is. Thinking about the simplicity of Africa and the complexity of other countries (including our own) I wonder if he sometimes chuckles at us with our worldly stuff or how worked up we get about things or how caught up in the rules of religion we get.
4. When it comes to saving money I am getting better! I use to be terrible because I would shop like no ones business but since I have been in college I have learned to budget and save my money! (but also allowing myself to splurge every now and then :) )
5. I'd prefer salt oversweets any day! ( I don't like dessert!)
6. I wish I knew how to make anything. I wish I was more crafty! Food stuff is not a problem but I wish i knew how to make clothes, sew pillowcases, knit, things like that. I want to be the Mom that knows how to fix stuff and can sew a tiger lily costume for halloween.
7. I'm just waiting forAFRICA. Leaving in ten days... seems unreal.
link up with Lauren
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
Dying over Gwynny in the new Vogue. Look at her. I love these shots, too. I like that they tried to make her kitchen a little messy with Buzz on the floor because as a Mom it's more realistic. The last shot I am in total love with as well, I feel like I want that to be me. After watching september issue it makes me wonder who puts this together and who loves her over there cause home girl has been on the cover of vogue more than 4 times.
We've been together for a while now
We're growing stronger everyday now
It feels so good and there's no doubt
I will stay with you as each morning brings sunrise
And the flowers bloom in springtime
On my love you can rely
And I'll stay with you
Oh I'll stay with you through the ups and the downs
Oh I'll stay with you when no one else is around
And when the dark clouds arrive
I will stay by your side
I know we'll be alright
I will stay with you
Though relationships can get old
They have the tendency to grow cold
We have something like miracle
Yeah, and I'll stay with you
Tuesday, July 13, 2010
“Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its fruit. You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him" Matthew 12:33
This is one of my favorite verses because to me, it makes so much sense. It's so simple. Just like my post I did before, you change your life by hanging your heart, your heart is the center of who you are. I was meeting with a friend the other day talking about college and the transition from following Jesus in high school to college. In my own experience the people who have fully accepted Jesus in their life, it changes their heart. It's not about rules, don't drink, don't swear, don't do this and that, the way that we live comes from our heart. If our heart is following Jesus we don't need to make or follow rules because our desires will be good coming from the good that's inside our heart.
Which lead me to my thought of the day: how cool is that? How amazing that we have a God that doesn't want rules, doesn't want us to be slaves to religion, but to have a heart that brings out good things from the goodness stored up in them.
So remember, you get what you give so give good.
Sunday, July 11, 2010
But Katie Holmes has good style. I use to like her, but Tom Cruise (although he's from New Jersey) creeps me out and therefore made me creeped out by Katie. But time after time she kills it. I love this style. So simple, so comfy looking, but at the same time so GOOD looking.
1. My favorite thing about this week has been
The weather, the fact that I only had to work two days this week,thrift shopping with my sissy, the fun times I have had with Nick(going to the beach with matt and karla, beaver game with olivia and brian),and the fact that I leave for Africa in 17 days .whoaaaa.
2. The weather this week has been
Hot enough for ya? But at night its been so amazing. I was at Nick's softball game last night from 830-10:30 and it was perfect. Tank Top and tempo shorts..and perfect.
3. The last (interesting) item I received in the mail was
W magazine. I love magazine and getting them in the mail. (Jcrew catalogs are the best though)
4. The last movie I saw was
At home: Invictus one of my top five favorite
In the theater: Toy Story 3 and it was AMAZING pixar you never cease to amaze me
5. If I could be doing anything I felt like today I would
Be on a boat, with my sister brian and nick, drinking yummy lemonade or something like that, and just floating and catching rays
6. As a teenager I was
It's only been a year since I was a teenager ....
7. I wish I could trade lives for the day with
Anna Wintour (on a less stressful day) and get to roam around Vogue and what whatever I wanted :)
Which reminds me September Issue came last night from Netflix! I can't wait to watch it again.
Tuesday, July 6, 2010
I am currently sitting in my favorite chair watching one of my favorite TV shows, Anthony Bourdain No Reservations. This guy, this asshole guy, travels all over the world and eats the best food from each of those countries. I discovered this show a while back and have just adored it ever since. It's the perfect mix of a travel and food show. He is extremely knowledgeable about the food and the places he travels but isn't an annoying know it all about it. Watching this show has exposed me to so many different cultures that I want to explore myself. Lucky for my I get to cross Africa off my list as well as the itch to get back to New York but here are some other places I would love to travel to :